Monday, June 22, 2009

Mission Pt. Flats


In the 90's and early 2,000's the waters of the Great Lakes
were at a very low level.  This area around Mission Point
Peninsula turned into a muddy, rocky flat that went out from
the shore at least a quarter of a mile.  Rocks and other discoveries
were exposed for the curious to explore.  I was most interested
in the distant light reflections.  The foreground didn't come
together until I decided to drag a damp large flat wash brush
down through the entire foreground.  This muted it enough
so as not to attract attention away from the middle ground
reflections, seagulls and trees.  Hope you enjoy.

6 comments:

Liz said...

I love this!

Carole said...

Absolutely stunnung painting Doug. I wish I had your talent.

Marian Fortunati said...

WOW.....

Shannon said...

A very lovely painting! I made my first visit out to Old Mission Point last fall, what a beautiful area. Hope to go back again this year when the grapes are ready and maybe do some wine tasting. If I do, I'll be sure to post some photos on my blog..

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Absolutely FABULOUS! The background looks miles away - wonderful job. And I love the perfect wet slushy-sandy feel of the foreground - I can feel the wet sand on my toes right now.

Double "D" said...

You're all very kind and your comments keep me going. Speaking of which, I need to get going.
Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you all soon.